Tuesday 15 June 2010

Day 9 - Stavelot to Vianden

I was thinking at breakfast this morning that I am amazed by how much I can eat. For breakfast I had 6 slices of bread, ham, loads of cheese a boiled egg, orange juice and a whole jug of coffee, and this is about average. And what is more amazing after cycling for about an hour I will be starving again. I`m not sure if this is all down to cycling everyday or whether it`s becauase I`m not using energy drinks. I`m only drinking water from my bottles as I cant wash them, and also dont want to drink energy drinks all day every day. However sugary drinks is what the body wants so I normally have a bottle of coke in my pannier, and as a result (certainly in the flat Flanders days) I would finish the ride with at least one bottle of water completly un touched. Not sure what the solution is.

Still back to the ride. The start of which was very hilly, several climbs of 14 & 16% this was due to following the route of  `La Doyenne`. But after about 10k I dropped into a river valley at Vialsalm, and from then on the ride was undulating but quite easy. Once I crossed into Luxembourg the roads got even better and the last 20k to Vianden along side the river Our was beautiful. It was a coolish day, but sunny with another strong tailwind.

Vianden is a touristy town mainly due to the impressive Chateau perched on top of a hill. It is quite classy and not all that expensive. My hotel costs 50Euros a night which includes a buffet breakfast (that will teach them) which is about average for the trip. Gent & Leuven were the most expensive and the cheapest were the most interesting - the Talbot House (museum in Poperinge) and my Botel in Maastrict.

Back to food - For lunch I often just snack on bannans, biscuits and my Coke.  The standard evening meal for me is a salad followed by a pasta or pizza (about 15Euros), and a couple of beers (normally a bit cheaper than UK prices). I think the only day I have more than a couple of pints of beer was the Robert Bloody Green day and in that case it was medicinal.

Today Stats
Distance 86.25k
Climb 1246m (hilly)
Riding Time 3.50.25
Average speed 22.4kph
Total Time 4.45.06

2 comments:

  1. Brendan you have 305 unique visitors and 1208 hits! Am wondering what you are up to??????

    You might have some explaining to do when we meet up in Rome!! Pxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan - all that eating isn't down to the energy used on the bike its down to you being fat and you need to feed that overhang of yours!!
    Anyway keep going "Big Day" t'row remember its not the distance that matters its how quick you can do it - Paula must be missing male company because she keeps sending me "screen dumps" - thanks Paula.
    Speak soon Tim.

    ReplyDelete