Monday 14 June 2010

Day 8 - Maastricht to Stavelot

For once I got an early start, I was away by 9.30 on a lovely sunny morning. said goodbye to my boat - I got quite attached to it in the last 2days - and headed east to Valkenbourg. it didn't take long before I got lost and ended up cycling an extra 10k to get there. My main reason to cycle to Valkenbourg was to cycle up the Cauberg which is the final climb on the Amstel Gold cycle race - one of the spring classic one day races. Well it took me 3mins 50 secs to climb it. The total ascent was a mere 60m with a max gradient of 12% - hardly Alpe d'Huez. Next i headed towards Vaals via Margratton & Slenaken this road was very undulating similar to roads over the South Downs. At Vaals I headed to Drielandenpunt via the highest point in Holland (321m). This point is also the border between Germany, Holland and Belgium. You can stand in all 3 countries at one time. Tim wants to know how you can do this with only 2 legs. Well...... 

After this was back into Belgium, I was in south Belgium or Wallonia. This is the French speaking side. There are no cycle paths (helmet back on) and in every way seemed just like France, a completly different country to Flanders ( and after Sundays elections they may be different countries soon, as Flanders has voted in favour of independence. The only 2 issues are Brussels - which is bilingual - and the monachy). Anyhow it also marked a change of direction for me after 6 and a bit days heading East, I was now heading South, and the wind was still following me :-)

 I was heading for Spa, the roads were lovely but hilly, and I got to Spa at mid afternoon. To me Spa reminded me of a British Sea-Side resort that has seen better days. I found out where the 3 open natural springs were (the 4th spring in the town centre was shut) and biked to them sampling the water, which was awful, tasting of iron and smelling of Sulphur, still if you believe the info I am now cured of all respiritory problems and cured from my sterilty.

Finally on to Stavelot via the climbs of the Leige-Bastogne-Leige (La Doyonne - I think this means that it is the most important one day classic ride). The climb of of Spa rises to 545m (and is also the last cat 3 climb on stage 2 of this yers TDF). After that climb a great desent and one last drag climb and I got there. Probably my hardest days ride so far, but I felt good after my day off.

Todays Stats
Distance 135.02k
Climb 1837m (pretty hilly)
Riding Time 6.19.54
Average Speed 21.3kph
Total Time 8.51.56

No comments:

Post a Comment