Sunday 20 June 2010

Day 14 - Karlsruhe to Schiltach

Not an early start today (no surprise there). Bill, his friend Jurgen and me headed off south on a cool and cloudy morning at just before midday. It was great to have Jurgen as he new all the cycle paths and all I had to do was follow, it is enjoyable cycling without having to think of where you are going. After 40k we stopped in Gernsbach (photo to follow)and had the traditional coffee and cake. Not long after this Bill and Jurgen took the tram back and I was on my own again.

It was brilliant seeing Bill, Ali & the children again, being totally spoilt and having all my clothes washed and ironed (even those pesky pants).

I carried on following the Muhr river cycle path, the road steadily climbed up to Freudestadt. This is at 736m a new high point of the tour. It has Germany's biggest square and first nudist hotel. It was also here where I took a wrong turning adding 7k onto the trip. I was not happy as I was tired and cold. I pressed on now mainly downhill stopping for a pasta meal before ending up in Schilitach a picture postcard town at 8.20pm.

Looking forward to meeting up with Richard at the Rheinfall (Europes largest waterfall by volume) tomorrow. It will be a long day as I must have to bike about 105k to meet him and then another 50k to Konstantz. We will bike the next 5 1/2 days over the Swiss/Italian alps together to Trento

Todays stats
Distance 121.86k
Climb 1061m
Riding time 5:43:24
Average speed 21:2kph
Total Riding Time 9:23:00

6 comments:

  1. Bill and Ali thank you for having Brendan to stay, especially Ali whom I am sure had a lot of extra work to do with washing etc. Being a nurse I hope you didn't get asked to administer any medicines or creams!!!!

    Brendan you will be pleased to know that your light weight pants were paraded round Andover on Fathers Day at the Pants in the Park event in aid of Prostate Cancer Uk. Will send you a photo. I ran with Sarah who outsprinted me at the end but I did manage to beat Chris and Kate !! Rachel was doing her Gym competition and she came 2nd out of 7 trios!!

    Hope you meet up with Richard OK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate and i ran the 5k three legged and mum didn't think we would make the first lap. However we came first in the three legged category
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brendan, admit it, you are staying upstairs at the Royal Oak instead of riding across Europe. How do I know? Well today is headed "Day 14, Monday 21st June", you meet Ricahrd "tomorrow", basic error as when I called you you claimed to be riding alongside Richard. Something just dosn't tie up ....did you ever work for BP?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brendan has asked me to find out if the Stelvio Pass is open on Thursday!!! Well check out this link and these photos:

    http://www.fogonazos.es/2007/08/stelvio-pass-road-48-hairpin-turns-to.html

    http://www.alpineroads.com/engadin.php#stilfser

    The Stelvio Pass is one of the highest Alpine Passes of Europe with its 2758 m. There are 48 hairpin turns on the northern side of the pass. The original road was built in 1820-1825 by the Austrian Empire to connect the former Austrian province of Lombardia with the rest of Austria, covering a climb of 1871 m. Since then, the route has changed very little. The 60 hairpin bends, 48 of them on the northern side numbered with stones, are a challenge to motorists.

    Its OK Brendan its only a challenge to motorists!!!

    WOW WOW WOW As far as I can see it is open at the moment. GOOD LUCK Can't believe you are going to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brendan have just read someone's report on the Stelvio Pass and it says to be careful in the tunnels and reduce speed as visibility is poor and there are a lot of potholes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brendan, there are too many corners on the Stelvio. You need to take a mountain bike and the direct route down.

    ReplyDelete