Wednesday 9 June 2010

Day 3 - Boulogne to Poperinge

I woke up again to the sound of rain, fell back to sleep - overslept - by which time it had stopped raining. I did not leave the hotel until 10:30 but with the help of the landlady found a good bike shop in the town centre where I finally bought 5 spare spokes at a princely sum of 40 cents each.

I headed up the coast to Wimereux - said goodbye to the sea for 3 weeks - and headed inland approx due east. I followed a series of minor roads to Colembert, Watten and Wormout before reaching the Belgium border just north of Watou. There was only one small sign to signify the border but you could tell it was Belgium as just across the border there was a bar a bookmakers and a petrol station.

The roads today were great, they got flatter as the day wore on, had an excellent surface and very quiet. Again no rain and agentle southerly breeze.

I decided to stop in Poperinge as I am staying in Talbot House which is an amazing place. Poperinge was 10k behind the front line and was a staging post for the British army. It was also the place where deserters got executed and the shooting post is still there. Talbot House was a place where officers, regardless of rank could relax and enjoy themselves, It has been fully restored and the rooms are let out. The rooms are basic and obviously no ensuite so I have kept my washing down - looks like i will have to squeeze another day of of those underpants!

Todays Stats
Distance 101.66k
Climb 651m
Riding time 4:22:12
Average speed 23.2kph
Toal time 6:24:10

1 comment:

  1. With the exception of the underpants, it sounds absolutely fantastic Brendan. The ride reminds me of cycling in Holland: a real contrast to riding in Blighty!
    Without wishing to sound like some kind of Judith Charmers throw-back, I wish I was there...

    ReplyDelete