Saturday 12 June 2010

Day 6 - Leuven to Maastricht

Today was my easist day's cycle ride not just because it was the shortest but also because I decided to follow the main road via Tienen, St Truiden & Tongeren to Maastrict. Another late-ish start but most importantly another westerly and dry day, but at about 20C not as warm as yesterday. So far I'm winning 5 -1 on wind direction.

I'm getting well into the routine of touring now. My left pannier has at the bottom my evening shoes and 3 plastic bags of clothes, one for wet stuff that has not dried overnight, another for ''clean'' cycling clothes and the other bag for "clean" evening clothes. The term ''clean'' is rather a loose term and often means pre-worn as in 2nd hand goods being pre-owned.

In my right pannier goes everything else, washbag, recharger bag, all bike stuff, bag with the vitals (i.e. passport, camera, wallet, sun-glasses), snacks for the day, arm-warmers & raincoat and finally my helmet. Yes, since Gent this is now in my pannier, mainly because nearly all cycling is on cyclepaths and the Belgian drivers appear paranoid about hitting cyclists. When sideroads join mainroads cars have to give way, if they are on the path waiting to join the main road they reverse out of the way, if turning from a main road onto a side road they never cut you up or go near you. Cyclists nearly always have priority on roundabouts - I assume that - like in Holland - if a car hits a cyclist they are assumed to be guilty unless they can prove otherwise. I guess if they hit you on a cyclepath they have no hope - whatever it is cycling seems very safe here.

I had a long lunch in St Truiden where I wrote the post for Day 5, and thought I'd treat myself in Tongeren to a last beer in Flanders. The beer menu covers 2 pages about 40 beers is normal, not really having a clue and trying to avoid the common beers I tend to buy on the sound of the name. For this reason I avoided 'Bolleke Scotch'  as it reminded me how I felt after our recent barbeque instead I opted for a Trappist Donker.

Maastricht is a beautful city - very classy but also very expensive. Following the advice in my Lonely Planet book I am staying for 2 nights in a ''Botel'' - which is a hotel on a boat. A hotel is a bit of an exageration. It is 2 old boats joined together with tiny rooms (my room is about 7 foot square), but very friendly and smack bang in the centre of town.

In the eve I found an Irish bar called John Mullens. I met a few kindred spirits from Tyneside and Colchester and watched the game. It was a good atmosphere (even though we were outnumbered by Americans) only to be spoilt by ROBERT GREEN. AHHHHHH!!!!!

Todays Stats
Distance 78.91k
Climb 444m (slightly more hilly than last 2 days)
Riding Time 3:17:24
Average speed 23.9kph
Total riding time 6:49

1 comment:

  1. THIS IS A MESSAGE FOR ROY S. After reading this blog I think you should share with eveyone the relationship you have between the laundry and scotch!!!!!
    :):):):):)

    ReplyDelete