Sunday 4 July 2010

Day 28 - Siena to Viterbo

A pretty good but long day today in some lovely Tuscany & Lazio countryside.

I got away at 9.30 on another glorious day, but this time, after umpteen still days, I had my tailwind back. Soon after leaving Siena the roads became quiet which was a bonus as it was a main road (R2). I soon saw my first sign for Roma which said Roma 209k, this was a bit worrying as it would leave me on 2999k and I would have to do a few laps of the Coluseum to make the majic 3000k. But in true Italian style the next sign said Roma 216k, so considering I am taking minor roads tomorrow I should be ok. I also saw my first cycling tourists since the Alps, they just dont do it here, or France or Spain for that matter.

I had to take an early lunch in Podere Scala as today was the dreaded Sunday when all the shops are shut so I could not buy my normal nosebag of bananas, cereal bars and energy drinks. After lunch I immeadiatly fell asleep against the restaurant wall. I'm getting pretty tired as this is now my 15th consecutive days cycling.

The easy cycling continued after lunch until lake Bolsena. I decided to take the minor road to the west of the lake, this was pretty but also had 8ks of rutted gravel tracks. After this the roads became busy with people returning from the lakes.

I am looking forward to meeting Paula tomorrow and celebrated with a beer at Lake Bosena. Now what does the small print in the photo say....



Todays Stats
Distance 149.03k
Climb 1285m
Riding Time 6:07:27
Average speed 24.3kph (fastest so far)
Total time 9:31

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brendan, Well what an acheivement, you must be on cloud nine!
    Paula is on her way so you can have a few relaxing days together. The girl did good on her own so pamper her and do not make her go near those boils! Not without gloves on anyway!
    Enjoy yourselves and make the most of your time without the kids, if you can with those boils that is! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brendan!
    What a journey! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    It was very interesting following your trip. What a determination! However enjoyable or painful it's been, I think you are very pleased to get to your destination!
    Enjoy your time with Paula in Rome! Can we expect any reports from that part of the trip?..
    Reading your blog I felt very sorry for my bicycle (very nice and with the shopping basket). I should get it out for some airing... The first bit of your journey would be good for a start (that is the Clatford bit)...
    Well done!
    Jolanta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the glass hope you've kept that as a souvenir, not too heavy when empty and not far to carry it, you could ditch the underpants.
    With your bike clock, which seems to measure slightly further traveled than say a GPS unit, that extra 1k will be easily achieved.
    Have a great time in Rome with Paula, I think you both deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WELL DONE - great acheivement - I may even buy you a beer on your return !!

    ReplyDelete