Tuesday 6 July 2010

Day 29 - Viterbo to Roma

At 4.15pm after 29 days 3028k and 32000m of climbing I reached the Coluseum and got off my bike to be met by Paula who had been travelling for about 8 hours (but at least I saved the Airfare).

Off doing the touristy bits for the next couple of days but will update this blog and add photos etc etc when I return home.

Today was a really hard day starting with a hot and busy 500m climb out of Viterbo to the East of Lago di Vico over Monte (forgotten name), I followed increasing rough and pot holey roads to the East of Lago di Bracciano where I stopped for my nosebag at the Spar. The roads improved after this but got busier and busier and I was desperate just to finish, resulting in cycling as hard as I could. I did not have a map of Roma but just followed signs to the Centre,  on dual carriageways where I dont think I should be, but I didnt care I just wanted to finish. By now the signs to the Centre at stopped, so I guessed I was getting there, but before I went to the Coluseum I wanted to cycle to the Vatican City to clock up my 10th country. By now I was asking instructions from scooters at the traffic lights. One lady said "you are nearly there 1k down the hill, through the tunnel and turn left". No not another tunnel this time with the crazy Roman drivers. I shot down the hill cut in front of the bus and stayed in the middle of the bus lane and suddenly I was there.

After stopping for a photo in St Peter's square is was a shortish ride to the Coleseum, and that was it all done finished! I didn't know how I felt, apart from hot and needing a drink but as the evening wore on I felt happier and quite proud with what I have achieved. We had a lovely evening last night eating and drinking by the River Tiber until the early hours where we met a group of people trying to make Roma a more cycle friendly place (I only saw about 2 or 3 cyclists on my trip through Rome), he was amazed that I cycled here and gave me a T-shirt as a souvenier coinsidently with a Logo of a bike and the Coluseum on it!

Todays Stats
Distance 105.30k
Climb 1060m
Riding time 4:47:09
Average Speed 22.0kph
Total Time 6:30

10 comments:

  1. WELL DONE
    Fantastic Effort & enjoyable blog
    Enjoy the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have done it!! What an amazing achievement. WELL DONE. I have enjoyed doing it all with you and without the bum boils too!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. Absolutely marvellous. Well done.

    Now for the Peroni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Bren!! If you're flying back to the Uk by EasyJet and the flight is cancelled you may have to get back on that bike!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic achievement Brendan, enjoy Rome both of you.

    Stuart H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You made it. Well done in acheiving your goal.
    It's been great to read your blogs but hopefully you have more photo's to show us when you get back.
    How long before you start to plan the next one? Look out kids the holidays are comming, I can see you all being on your bikes! That is providing the boils have healed up.
    Enjoy your last days.
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!
    What an incredible accomplishment!
    Enjoy the rest of your stay.
    I hope the journey from Rome to home will be just a breeze!
    See you soon!
    Jolanta

    ReplyDelete
  8. A superb achievement Brendan. Absolutely fantastic! Hope to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why didn't I stumble across this blog earlier? Well done. Good job and awesome read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stumbled across your blog as I am planning a cycling trip from Nice to Rome. Did you fly out of Rome? How did you get to the airport? We are flying out of Fumicino but I'm worried about how to get there and don't really want to cycle on busy roads in Rome. Thanks for any tips you could give me! Jo-anne

    ReplyDelete