Sunday 4 July 2010

Bottom boils, bladders, groins and feet

Well you dont have to read it if you dont want to. But the biggest issue, in my opinion, for long distance cycling is saddle sores.

Despite regular creaming with Sudocream I have succumbed to the enevitable saddle sores, but on only 2 days have they become uncomfortable, the first was the Lake Constance day and the second the other day from Lido di Venice to Arrenta, and my theory is because both days are flat you dont move around much in the saddle, you are sat in the same place all day which causes the problem. Extra doses of sudocream and hilly days seem to have done the trick.

Another problem I had, certainly during the first week or so is the need to spend a penny, often I'm ok when cycling but as soon as I stop I need to go and I need to go straight away. I am not sure if it is partly due to all the coffee I am drinking in the morning, the cool weather I had in the first week, or just age. Often I did not have time to park the bike properly, I just straddle the bike and go, but dont worry, unlike Tim I have always missed the water bottles! The hotter weather and cutting down on the coffee seems to have helped.

Other issues include an itchy groin, well spend 10 hours a day in cycling shorts what do you expect.

And I have also had numb toes on my right foot since Germany. I think I have had this before, and the feeling returns a few days after stopping cycling.

The cure is to cream up and my daily ritual which seems to work is

Morning
Sudocream - saddle sores
Vasolene - groin
Factor 15 suncream for face (partly protected from the sun by helmet)
Factor 25 suncream for arms, legs & neck
Lipsol

Evening
Sudocream
Metanium (instead of the Vasolene)
Bite ease (in Italy I seem to grt loads of insect bites during a ride)

And maybe a top up at lunchtime.

This is partly to remind me for future tours, but I would be interested in your comments, both serious or amusing.

1 comment:

  1. RemeMber life would be boring without alittle bit of pain - well done.
    All that pain will be gone in 6 months and you're look back and only remember the good times - white lyrca girl and roller bladder !!.
    Have a good time in Rome with Paula - tell her all about your boils etc over a romantic meal.
    Speak soon - great blog.
    ps your acheivement is so much better than jogging around at 7 min/ miling for 8 hrs !!

    ReplyDelete